let’s start with my goals from last year and see where i stand:
- i did buy a townhome and i’m loving it
- Kathy did move in with me and we have a dog named Remy
- Queen City Thunder did not make it to regionals but we made a good attempt considering our region was the most competitive it’s ever been
- i don’t have a six pack. in fact, my annual Microsoft health screening says i’ve gotten a bit less healthy ;(
- avoided getting a blister this past summer
- i did get promoted at work. i had my best review since starting at Microsoft and i’m really enjoying my work. i’m working hard in hopes of getting 2 more promotions before the end of the fiscal year.
i started working on my first real coding project. you can find all the details at https://github.com/maxxwizard/inhouseBot. i’ve never felt the desire or motivation to code for fun or have a hobby project until recently. your brain changes immensely over the years so for all those who feel like they haven’t hit their stride or found their calling (e.g. me in college), stay positive and don’t be an asshole – your time to shine will come if you stay grateful, humble, and somewhat hungry (for life/success).
life is really stable nowadays so i do get antsy. it’s good that i live with a bunch of roommates and a girlfriend because there’s always something to do and people to hang out with. also, charting out future goals gives me something to strive for:
- finish this inhouseBot by Thanksgiving 2014
- escalation engineer [debugging code] by end of FY15
- principal engineer or executive by the time i’m 30 years old
- at least $3M when i retire at 65